Monday 28 October 2013

Kicking the bucket

The 'in thing' seems to be to make a Bucket List or a '100 things to do before I die' list. I always thought this sounded a bit fatalistic, almost like tempting fate. What happens when you tick off the last item on the list? I guess you die....

So I didn't want to be a part of any bucket list but there are a few things I want to achieve before I kick the bucket. I started writing my list and it looked a bit boring:

run in a 10k fun run
get a Master's Degree (yawn)
shave my head (getting better)
get a tattoo (yawn again)

Then I started letting go and came up with some interesting things I'd always wanted to do:
be a performance poet
learn the banjo
be a radio announcer
teach someone to read
sing in a gospel choir

And you know what? These are all dreams I had as a kid. Perhaps I'll add: sing in a rock band and represent my country in a sport. I'm glad I haven't forgotten my dreams and I think I'll change my list from a Bucket to Dream list. And the first thing I'll cross off my Dream List is number 20 - wear a jaunty cap for a day. You can achieve anything if you wear a jaunty cap!

No comments:

Post a Comment